The Liebster Award
In late July, I put down a deposit for a safari in Kenya. That decision was life changing. It was like flipping on a switch, all of a sudden I was happy. It was the happiest I could remember being in a long time and that happiness hasn’t gone away. Booking that trip started a chain reaction and I quickly realized I don’t want this feeling to end. I want to keep traveling and have more freedom in my life. No…I NEED to keep traveling and I NEED to have more freedom in my life.
The ultimate goal for me now is to become a digital nomad and creating Amber’s Compass was the first step in making that dream a reality. Along with adventure stories, I create beautifully written book reviews and travel recommendations. I specifically seek out adventures and books that go together. This allows my readers to have a more complete and in-depth experience on their travels.
So now, it’s about a month from when I started, I’ve learned how to build a blog website with a lot of trial and error. I learned (I’m still learning) how to use Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. I’m learning about SEO and discovering my niche. Just as I’m starting to be proud of my site and the content is coming together, I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award. That recognition tells me that I’m on the right track. Thank you so much to Shannon and Adam from Our Taste of Travel for nominating me!
About Our Taste of Travel
Our Taste of Travel was created by Shannon and Adam, a couple that put their successful careers on hold to go in search of adventure. They are exploring Latin America and South East Asia, tasting the local cuisine and building a collection of recipes to share with you. I highly recommend you all subscribe on their website. You can also find them on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
About The Liebster Award
The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers to help introduce newcomers to a wider audience. “Liebster” means kindest in German, which is what this award is all about! The rules of the award include:
- On your blog, thank the blogger who nominated you for this award.
- Link back to the blogger that awarded you.
- Upload the Liebster Award to your blog. This can be done by writing a post about the award and uploading the award image in your sidebar.
- Answer the questions you have been asked by your nominator in a blog post so we can get to know you better.
- Nominate 5 blogs with less than 200 followers that you believe deserve to receive this award.
- Notify the owners of those 5 blogs that you’ve nominated them so they can accept their award. Bloggers can be nominated more than once, giving their readers more chances to learn more about them.
Nominees, pick which icon you want to display from here.
Questions for me from Our Taste of Travel
1. Which passport stamp are you most proud of and why? South Korea. I was not far out of high school and South Korea was my first duty station back when I was in the army. That stamp represents a major step in my life and coming into my own in another country.
2. Which country is top of your bucket list right now? I have long had an affinity for ancient Egypt and their landmarks. I’d want to see the Karnak and Luxor Temples, the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx and travel the Nile.
3. What is your guilty travel pleasure? If I’m staying in a room with a tub, I absolutely will take a nice long bubble bath and read.
4. What advice would you give to new travel bloggers? Don’t be afraid to change. When you’re first starting out, you’ll still be finding your footing. Keep growing and learning and seek out tips from those who are successful.
5. Why did you start your blog? I realized that traveling brings me joy and creating this blog ensures that I continue traveling. First off it gives me a push to plan that next trip, and second, the blog will hopefully be the first step in becoming a digital nomad and taking my passion on the road.
6. What is your favourite travel-related film to inspire wanderlust? The documentary Meru was my first real look at mountaineering and it makes me want to push my boundaries and try a new adventure.
7. What has been your favourite meal in the last three months, and where did you find it? I went to an Indian Festival in Fremont, CA which had a long row of food booths from local Indian restaurants. My friend and I ordered butter chicken, which I had never had. It came with jasmine rice but I didn’t realize until after I’d ordered it that it didn’t come with naan. So I ordered naan from the booth next door called Rangoli. They said it would take a while to heat up their fryer to cook the naan but I was ok with that, I’d wait. To apologize for the wait anyway, the guy from Rangoli brought over some complimentary samosas. Everything was so delicious, and they were so kind that I kept their card so I could return again.
8. What is your favourite thing about travelling? The memories that it gives me. Every place I visit changes me and gives me a greater appreciation for life and understanding of myself.
9. What is your least favourite thing about travelling? Long uncomfortable flights.
10. Oceans, mountains, deserts or jungles? Mountains! Nothing brings me complete calm like walking through a redwood forest.
Here are the 10 questions that my nominees will need to answer:
- What is your favorite travel themed book?
- What is your favorite travel themed movie?
- Where are you going next? Tells us about it.
- What was your most memorable activity during your travels?
- Why did you start your blog?
- What do you hope to accomplish with your blog, what are your goals?
- How did traveling change your life?
- If you could visit any fictional world, which would it be and why?
- What is your favorite souvenir?
- And most importantly, where in the world would you go in the zombie apocalypse?
And finally, it’s with great pleasure that I introduce you to my nominees:
- Destination Dorworth
- So The Adventure Begins
- Better Together Home
- Wandering Journals
- Word From Abroad